Wednesday, May 11, 2011

shitisfuckedup (Andrew Carnegie)


Charcoal Drawing
42"x48"

With this piece I was further exploring the use of propaganda posters. With this piece I was playing with the idea that propaganda is designed to be a low level process, and appeal to a subjects laziness in terms of thinking. The layout is designed to look like a tribute to Carnegie, while the content quite clearly is not. The text as well requires some secondary thought to realize the theme I was dealing with was "The Ends Justify the Means".

The inspiration for this piece came from discussions in high school and reading about Andrew Carnegie online. It drives me nuts that Andrew Carnegie is revered as a great and philanthropic American. Certainly I cannot deny that he did some great and noble things with his fortune, but that does not excuse the horrible things he did to acquire that fortune. Thanks also to The Offspring for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment